- Self-Directed Learning at Summit Public Schools
- Student - Excerpt on the student experience of self-directed learning
- Teacher - Excerpt on the teacher experience of self-directed learning
- Parent - Excerpt on the parent experience of self-directed learning
- Administrator - Excerpt on the administrator experience of self-directed learning
Students talk about why self-directed learning matters.
With the help of technology, Summit Public Schools has redesigned its whole-school model to put student agency and self-direction at the center.
- For students to direct their own learning, teachers, parents, and school leaders must each step back and give them the space to do so (but also know when to step in).
- Self-direction challenges traditional notions of school.
- Students need to develop skills to self-direct successfully.
- Self-direction is not new, but technology can help us do it better.