Solutions to Improve Gender Equity for Hyperlocal Delivery Operations
Why should logistics companies aim to improve gender equity in hyperlocal delivery operations?
- Access additional talent pool
- Attract impact-focused investors
- Build a positive brand image
Why do hyperlocal delivery operations have low gender diversity today?
Companies find it expensive to hire and retain women in hyperlocal delivery roles because of a combination of challenges within their organizations and ecosystem barriers. This includes the following challenges:
- Company-level challenges:
- Companies lack the skills to target and convince women
- Onboarding material does not provide adequate information about the job (e.g. earnings, what to do on Day 1)
- Onboarding material does not address key concerns of women
- Companies lack effective mechanisms to resolve issues of women
- Ecosystem-level challenges:
- Job portals have a limited pool of women
- Families do not give women permission for this role
- Families do not invest in assets for women
- Women are not taught driving
How can logistics companies make hyperlocal delivery operations more gender-equitable?
- Build the organization’s capability to target and convince women: Make collateral and tele-caller pitch script gender-equitable
- Develop peer and support networks for women: Provide initial handholding to new women delivery agents (DAs) by team leaders and develop a 5-min video to address the key challenges faced by women
To start your gender diversity journey, download the gender equity solution document for hyperlocal delivery>
If you want support implementing this roadmap, email us on GLOW@fsg.org>