- Intellectual curiosity
- Analytical rigor
- Creative problem-solving
- Enthusiasm for team-based work
- Action orientation
- Structured and clear communication skills
- Ability to effectively engage and partner with diverse stakeholders
- Technical expertise (relevant to the position)
- Strong qualitative and quantitative skills
- Experience in strategy consulting or other relevant experience (e.g., conducting research and data analysis to develop structured and compelling strategic recommendations)
- Experience applying equity and inclusion principles (e.g. disaggregating data, addressing disparities between populations and/or designing culturally appropriate interview guides, etc.)
- An understanding of the world’s pressing social challenges and a passion for social change
We aim to create an experience that gives candidates a clear picture of our firm, our teams, and the consulting work we do with clients and allows candidates to showcase their unique skills and talents. The following overview represents our typical recruiting process, though it may differ by role:
- Application review (all applications should be submitted via Open Positions; cover letters can be addressed to the FSG Recruiting Team)
- Phone interview
- First-round interview (in-person or video conference) (currently video conference only)
- Second-round interview (in-person) (currently video conference only)
- Reference checks
- Offer decision
For candidates applying for roles on our consulting team, we strongly encourage you to learn more about our client projects and our consulting services. We also recommend you read the following articles: “Collective Impact,” “Creating Shared Value,” “Catalytic Philanthropy,” and “Systems Change in a Polarized Country.”
If you are new to consulting case interviews, we suggest you spend some time familiarizing yourself with this approach. FSG’s consulting case interviews are based on actual FSG client projects. After reviewing a summary of the client problem and accompanying qualitative and quantitative data on your own, you will discuss your findings with the interviewer. We are looking for candidates to articulate a clear recommendation for the client that is grounded in the data.
Our people are our most valuable asset. Regardless of the level at which you join, we look forward to supporting your growth and development. Our culture is based on continuous learning and supportive feedback. We recognize that developing each individual’s skills and knowledge is vital to the ongoing success of our firm.
We work with each individual on professional development to help promote personal and professional success. Our typical consulting career path follows this trajectory:
Associate > Consultant > Senior Consultant > Associate Director > Director > Managing Director
- Eligibility for parental leave
- Monthly cell phone and internet allowance
- Professional development stipend
- Eligibility for a tenure-based sabbatical program
Working at FSG
- Collaborative and analytical approach to our work
- Emphasis on individual growth and professional development
- Personable, collegial, and inclusive team
- Smart and fun work environment, even while tackling serious global challenges
We believe that change is possible and tomorrow doesn’t have to be like today. We are committed to making progress on complex social challenges facing the world. This passion unites us and fuels the persistence and rigor we bring to our work.
We work to eliminate population-level disparities so we can no longer predict an individual’s likely life outcomes based on their social group identities. We apply equity analysis to our work, highlight the voices of people who have been historically marginalized, and analyze and address systemic structures that create advantages for some and disadvantages for others.
We can only solve complex problems by working together. This requires relationships based on mutual trust, respect, and honesty. We build such relationships internally and externally by practicing humility, patience, empathy, and a willingness to truly listen.
We are open and adaptable in order to best support our clients and partners and manage our organization. This means we consider a variety of perspectives, follow the data where it leads, ask and answer tough questions, and take risks.
We strive to create inclusive environments and opportunities where we can be our best, authentic selves and we help each other find energy and balance in our work.
As an equal opportunity employer, we value diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to equal employment and promotion opportunity regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, pregnancy, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.