Growing Livelihood Opportunities for Women
Insights on Attendant Motivations, Preferences, and Challenges
Most attendants work to supplement family incomes and to further their career aspiration.
GLOW conducted interviews with 53 attendants who are working or have worked at Home healthcare (HHC) companies and 24 candidates who applied for the attendant role across 3 cities. Through these interviews, we aimed to understand their motivations, aspirations, employment preferences, and key challenges with working in this role.
Key insights on employment preferences and challenges of women:
- Recommendations from friends and family is the primary source of information about the attendant role
- HHC attendant role appeals to candidates who value higher pay and savings potential over other aspects of the role
- Approximately 70 percent of single women were working to save for future career aspirations and gaining autonomy
- There are three key reasons HHC attendants leave their jobs:
- lower than expected in-hand pay
- lack of support from service managers
- poor treatment by customers
- Familial treatment by customers and regular check-ins from service managers can help improve retention of attendants